Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Something new to view

Hello all!

I'm changing up the game this week so hope you are up for something new!  I'm a pretty big fan of writing my blog as it provides an effective way to share a story with many people in a way that doesn't require a large time commitment on their behalf.  To that end, I also enjoy reading them.  Today I'll point out a few of my favorites and the reason I love them:

http://www.pacificcrest2010.blogspot.com/
This blog covers the Pacific Crest Trail hike by two men from Florida, Randy Fitch and Jason Jorge.  As of Monday, October 11, the two were finished hiking all 2,663 miles of the trail from southern California to Vancouver, BC.  The trip, like many before and many to come, likely tested the will power, fortitude, and patience of the men, but no doubt provided them with something I have only experienced to date in small amounts...total and utter elation at the chance to see mother nature in a very intimate way.  Someday...someday.

The next blog, Divide by 1, showcases another outdoor-enthusiast doing something similar to Randy and Jason, but with a twist.  Gracie Sorbello, along with a friend, UNI-CYCLED the Continental Divide from the northern Rockies to Antelope Wells, New Mexico in 2009.  Gracies' perseverance (and thrill of doing the unthinkable) was a true inspiration to me.  I am very happy to say that I know Gracie from having worked with her here in Eugene earlier this year.  She's since gone on to work at McMurdo Station in Antrarctica.  That's right, Antarctica.  This girl knows how to live.

This blog, Gear Junkie, has a multitude of reports written that showcase a TON of different outdoor activities.  They range from snowkiting to cyclocross to marathon running.  These reports are usually first-hand encounters by folks who have tried the given activity, with varying degrees of success. 

The Outdoorzy Blog provides a great resource for outdoor recreation news, events, and more.  There are quite a few entries on this blog that caught my eye, including an article about a bear that was killed in Denali National Park over Memorial Day of this year, just months after the decision to allow handguns in National Parks was approved.

Those are just a handful of blogs that I have found in the last year.  Keep exploring and if you find any you enjoy post them here as a comment.  I always love to read new and interesting stories.

-Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment