Monday, September 27, 2010

Benternship Q & A

I've had many folks ask me about my Benternship that I completed in July and they pretty much all want to know the same things.  So I've created this Q & A to help explain a little better what went down in Central Oregon and what exactly I learned from it.  Here we go:

Q: What the heck is a Benternship?
A: Well, that one's easy.  I am not a creative person so I didn't have to stretch too far when thinking of what to call my internship in Bend.  I guess my strengths lie somewhere else than in creative naming.

Q: So who was your internship with?
A: The company I worked for was Wanderlust Tours, an excellent outfit committed to sharing Central Oregon's best cultural and natural history through the activities that outdoor enthusiasts enjoy, such as canoeing, hiking, caving, and snowshoeing.  Wanderlust Tours is a small business started 17 years ago by a husband and wife team that knew what Bend was missing in regard to outdoor recreation.

Q: Did you quit your job at the railroad?  Are you going to?
A: No, and yes.  I did take a leave of absence for the month of July that allowed me to live in Bend for a few weeks and also to travel to the Rockies for a week to go backpacking with some buddies.  At this point, all I know about the second question is yes, I will quit the RR at some point, but I don't have a date yet.  Stay tuned...

Q: Was this a paid internship?
A: No.  Does that matter?

Q: What did you do on your Benternship?
A: What didn't I do?!  Start here and read my friend.  It's well documented.

Q: Now that you've finished your Benternship, what steps will you take to further this momentum?
A: Primarily, research and waiting.  My gut tells me that I'm going to be moving sometime in 2011 to another state.  If that state ends up needing a niche filled like Wanderlust Tours did for Central Oregon, then that's my goal.  If not, then hopefully I can work for a similar outdoor company...that will be a real trick as Wanderlust does such a phenomenal job I can't imagine finding something similar elsewhere.  In the meantime, I will continue to look at other outdoor-related activities and see what I would like to include in my own business model.  Also, I'm looking at classes that will help me prepare for owning a small business.

Q: Your Benternship seemed amazing.  I would love to do some of the activities you did in Bend.  How do I find out more information about Wanderlust Tours?
A: You can visit Wanderlust Tours' website here.

I also have to say that the company blog is pretty sweet.  Click on this link to view the Wanderlust Tours' blog page.

Have a great day!
Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment