Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Benternship June 30- DAY 1

This series documents a very special opportunity I had recently. I was accepted as an intern at a company in Oregon that provides naturalist-based guided tours in many different activities that travelers enjoy. All of the entries are taken directly from my makeshift journal, my camera, and my iPod video camera. Items in bold are not original to the journal, they have been added for clarity or reading enjoyment. You can decide which.

9:00 p.m. It's now about nine or so at night and I just sat down in my camp chair at the edge of Scott Lake. I cannot see the Three Sisters from the shore where I am but it's no matter; I've seen plenty of beauty today as it is.
I stopped in McKenzie Bridge for the requisite Jo-Jos at Harbick's. I was good and only ordered three but the clerk gave me four anyway :) She must have known I would later need the energy.
Made my way onto Hwy. 242 around 4:00 or so and decided to skip Proxy Falls Trail- too busy. I did stop at the Linton Lake TH though and hiked it (about three miles round-trip), taking 100 photos or so along the way. Not a cloud in the sky today and not too much wind either. Beautiful trail though disappointed in the lake itself...too shrubby by the North shore meant no good photos ops. The water clarity rivaled that of Scott Lake though- pure! No snow at all on the trail (now I'm at Scott Lake where there is smoky water from evaporation and frogs are croaking).
Drove through Obsidian TH lot after that (around 7:00 I think) and saw one car...must be snowy up there. Less than five minutes later I arrived at Scott Lake. Decided to park at campsite and get iPod ready- running time. Ran along a VERY snowy trail to Benson Lake (another first lake for the day). Ran/post-holed/walked for about an hour (maybe another three miles).
As soon as I returned to the car at Scott Lake I stripped iPod, shirt, and shoes and went for a swim! The water was very pleasant so I waded out to the middle of the lake for a better view of the Sisters. Then for dinner salad and a 22 (Widmer Hefeweizen tonight- my favorite!). Off to bed soon. So excited for this Benternship!

No comments:

Post a Comment