Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Benternship July 4- DAY 5

This series documents a very special opportunity I had recently. I was accepted as an intern at a company in Oregon that provides naturalist-based guided tours in many different activities that travelers enjoy. All of the entries are taken directly from my makeshift journal, my camera, and my iPod video camera. Items in bold are not original to the journal, they have been added for clarity or reading enjoyment. You can decide which.

2:00 a.m.
Now 2:00 a.m.- Happy I-Day! No a.m. paddle so DB (Database) work 'til lunch...Skeleton Cave Tour at 1:00 (Awesome! 3600' long and 100' below the earth's surface) then quick dinner at Parilla (thanks Megan!) and starlight canoe tour with Jeremy and 10 guests. Too tired to write more.

Jeff was my guide for the afternoon cave tour and he shone the brightest in the cave (some kind of problem with that euphemism but I'm standing by it). The way he engaged his clients (four adults, two children) was really enjoyable to watch. I was impressed with his ability to answer any question that was asked while still managing to keep us all on an efficient and enjoyable tour.

Jeremy (starlight canoe tour guide) was a fantastic storyteller, having worked with youth in the outdoors for years before coming to WT this winter. The group we had were all adults, but no matter; Jeremy wowed us all with the scenery of the Cascade lakes and the enchanting stories he wove to explain the stars that we were seeing that night. I could very easily picture him giving a jaw-dropping presentation to younger folks out on a tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment