Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Welcome to my campsite

I have a lot of things around here, but I try to make sure that over time I only keep the bare necessities.  Carrying around all this stuff from one place to another is tiring, not to mention silly.  Let me introduce you to a few of my favorite things:

I have a Compass, which provides direction in life, let's me know where I am and where I want to go.  I have a nickname for this compass.  It's called faith.

I have a Book.  I know you can't read it, but I'm always happy to do that for you.  I am the only one on this earth who has read the entire thing, and there are parts of it that only make sense to me.  I can tell you about all of my family and my friends by reading it.  My book contains all of my greatest memories and teachings.

I have a Tent which provides me with shelter.  It warms me, and it protects my family and I from the environment when conditions get rough.  My tent is my home.

I also have a pair of Binoculars around here.  I don't use them a lot, but knowing that they're near provides me a great deal of support.  My binoculars are super-awesome as they help me see things that I wouldn't normally be able to see, like all binoculars do, but they also provide clarity and reassurance.  My view is not nearly as fuzzy once I use them, and they always seem to be at my disposal at all the right times.  I simply have to ask for them and whatever I'm looking at instantly becomes clearer.  My binoculars are known by an unusual name also.  I call them my mentor.

Another item in my camp is my Partner.  I rely on her tremendously for unconditional support, whether it be helping me set up the tent, read my compass, or find my binoculars.  I love to read parts of my book to her, and one day she will be able to repeat most of those pages back to me without much effort (we started writing a new book together July 27, 2008).  We share life's joys together; love, beauty, bonding.  Without my partner, all else would diminish in usefulness and my camp no doubt would suffer greatly at her loss.  My partner is my wife.

One question that I ask myself daily while in camp is do I have everything that I need?  I have food, water, and warmth no doubt, but what about the things that are intangible?  Have I forgotten something?  Does one of my items need to be worked on or repaired?  Have I lost track of something?

I know that there are many things in my camp that are superlative, but the things I've shown you here I feel are integral to my success in life.  This balance of ownership and letting go is a large part of who I am, and through this forum you'll no doubt learn more about me than you may have ever wanted to know.  As another camper you no doubt recognize many of the things I've told you are in my camp.  As you go about your daily life you will encounter many of the same items, and you may be surprised to find things that are altogether different than mine.  Let that diversity strengthen our bond with one another, not weaken it.  One question that I want you to think of when you are reading my blog and thinking about me or my travels is the following:

"What does your campsite look like?"

1 comment: